I don’t know about everyone else, but I feel like we’re constantly doing work to our chicken coop. Every time I think, “Yay! We’re done with the coop! I can post the final update on the blog,” I find something that needs to be changed. Sorry, guys. You may never see a completed coop picture.
However, I can show you an updated picture of the run, because we’ve done some serious work, there!
The most noticeable things we’ve changed about the run are that we fenced it higher up, making it more secure. We also added a door, since we can no longer climb over the fence.
The door was really simple to construct. It’s just chicken wire and some old fence posts. We don’t have it latched with anything right now, but it’s heavy enough to keep our dog out and chickens in, and we don’t have much of a predator problem right now so we’re not in a big hurry to change that.
In addition to those changes, we also made it more secure at the bottom, because we found where either our chickens or the dog had pulled up a bit of wire, creating a hole at the bottom of the fence. We did this with some simple metal camping stakes, and it has held up pretty well so far.
Some of the changes I still want to make are:
- Make the fence even higher, since the girls are still flying over it very easily.
- Cover the top, because we keep forgetting to lock them up at night, and I’d feel better about that if I knew they couldn’t get out of the run.
Over all, some pretty simple changes are coming this weekend. I *think* we’ll be done after that. At least for a little while.
So far, the ladies seem to like it a lot in there. They are constantly grazing, and come running up every time I walk by. They love to hide out under the coop and enjoy the shade. Now, if only I could find a way to make this entire run mobile, I’d be one happy chicken owner!